The early onset of schizophrenia can start in between the age of 13 and 18. And studies have also cleared the fact that schizophrenia can also start before a child reached the age of 13. Apart from the age factor, the schizophrenia that a child faces is just similar to the adult schizophrenia. But, the difference lies in the symptoms of both. If we talk about this mental health condition in the long term, then the symptoms of it can be more severe. Therefore, it becomes important for an individual to go for schizophrenia treatment in Bhopal before the symptoms become worse.
In this article, we shall focus on how schizophrenia affects children. So, let’s get started!
The symptoms of schizophrenia are as follows:
- Auditory hallucinations
- Developmental delays
- Language difficulties
- Difficulty in coping with the school work and the social relationships
- Trouble in expressing or recognizing emotions
These are just the basic symptoms of this mental illness. Moreover, the reputed and well-known psychiatrist in Bhopal, Dr. Satyakant Trivedi added some more symptoms which can be seen in children if he or she might be suffering from schizophrenia. So, those are:
- Unusual behavior or speech
- Unusual or thoughts and ideas
- Confuses television and dreams with the reality
- Seems too confused in their thinking ability
- Experiences the extreme mood changes
- Shows changes in the personality
- Believes that someone is after them
- Believes that talking about them
- Appears anxious & fearful
- Facing difficulty in relating to the peers & maintaining friendships
- Becomes withdrawn and isolates himself or herself
- Neglects the personal grooming too
How does it feel to a child?
The symptoms of schizophrenia appear to grow very slowly in a child. Further, it seems to be very scary for the child. And thus, he or she might show some of the signs of withdrawal or isolation. For the parents, this condition could be just same as the anxiety.
At first, the child would be feeling very afraid. For instance, the hallucinations and delusions could be very threatening for a child.
In addition to this, the child would also be facing difficulties in concentrating and would be becoming very irritable as the day passes by.
It is vital that you as a parent must understand the situation of the child and consider consulting psychiatrist in Bhopal to help the child in the best way possible.