Technology has now revolved in the form of smartphones and internet. And now children are also falling into the trap of addiction as adults are. As the mind of child is fragile enough, thus, it is important for the parents to prevent their children from getting addicted to the technology.
According to Dr. Satyakant Trivedi, The common activities that children do who are addicted to the technology are:
- Playing of video games more often
- Download and using the applications frequently
- Constantly chatting with friends
- Updating their information regularly on the social networking sites
The signs of technological addicted children are:
- Poor performance in the school studies
- Lack of interest in activities which used to be interesting before
- Addicted child faces difficulty in interacting normally with their parents or friends
- Feeling of lack of energy and laziness almost all the day
- Insomnia or sleep disturbances
- Excessive urgency of checking the phone instantly
- Feelings of unease when couldn’t get to use the phone
- Need to respond immediately to messages
- Excessive use of smartphones or technology or gadgets that causes conflicts with family
The ways to overcome smartphone addiction in children are:
- Educate: You don’t need to lecture your kids, instead talk to them openly about the benefits and pitfalls of the technology. Also, you can ask them to show their point of view of using tech-savvy gadgets.
- Make a plan: You can set healthy limits and boundaries for the family like not allowing them to use phone during dinner. Also, it shouldn’t not only be set for the children but also for elders so that they can follow them.
- Monitor use: Now there are several apps that can be used for monitoring on how and when the smartphones are being used. You can even track the usage and set healthy limits for a number of apps and shut down it after a certain period of time.
- Create a check-in policy: You need to make a rule as to keep away smartphones from bedroom at night. Also, create a plan so as to check devices at a certain time in evening.
What to do if teen can’t stop using the phone?
If you suspect that your teen is being negatively affected by the usage of smartphones, then it is recommended to go for psychiatrist in Bhopal. With setting of the healthy limits, it is equally important to consult a psychiatrist in Bhopal for getting positive response.