What is Social Anxiety Disorder?
Most of the people get nervous on an occasion, like when you ask them to give a speech or go for interview. But in the social anxiety disorder is much more than being nervous on any occasion. This disorder involves intense fear of the social situations and this fact becomes true especially in the situations where the individual feels that he or she’ll be watched or will be judged by others. These situations become so frightening for them that they become anxious just by the thought of this. And to avoid this, they can go to any lengths. At this stage, it becomes extremely important for that person to consider consulting psychiatrist in Bhopal.
What causes social anxiety?
Most of the people fall into trap of this disorder, and it’s actually quite common. The situations that trigger this disorder could be different. But the common social anxiety triggers include:
- Meeting new people
- Public speaking
- Performing on the stage
- Being center of attention
- Being watched while doing something
- Being teased
- Talking with authority figures
- Going on a date
- Speaking up in a meeting
- Eating or drinking in public
- Making phone calls
- Attending social gatherings
What are the signs of social anxiety disorder?
Just because of the fact that you get occasionally nervous doesn’t mean that you have social anxiety disorder. But still, it is important that you match your signs with the below given list. And if you do match, then you must go for social anxiety treatment as soon as possible. So, the signs and symptoms of social anxiety disorder are as follows:
- Feeling excessive anxiety in everyday social situations
- Intense worry for an upcoming social situation
- Extreme fear of being watched or judged by others
- Fear of the act which will embarrass or humiliate you
- Fear that others will notice
- Avoiding social situations to a length which will limit your activities
- Staying quiet or hiding in the background
- Need to always bring a buddy along with you wherever you go
- Drinking before social situations
It is vital that you try some of the self-help techniques for getting rid of social anxiety disorder. But if that doesn’t work-out, then you must consider social anxiety treatment. Now, there are more therapies to be found out for treating the social anxiety disorder, but out of them Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or CBT has been shown to work best for treating it.
Therefore, if feel that you’ve changed the way you think about the social situations or gatherings and that gives you anxiety, then consult psychiatrist in Bhopal for getting a hold on situation.