According to Dr. Satyakant Trivedi, many women complain of disturbed sleep during the peri-menopausal period and you already know that the right sleep of around 6-8 hours a day is beneficial to keep you refresh and energetic. According to reports, sleep duration of less than seven hours a night created many problems to you that include cardiovascular disease, mood disorders, stress, obesity, and diabetes etc.
Sleep disorder treatment for you is mandatory to live your life normal and keeping your routine up to date. Whether it is your official tasks or personal tasks, you can manage it better if you take sufficient sleep in night. Lack of sleep also improves the chances of lack of memory in your brain.
It has been noted that insomnia is more common in women than in men. Many women suffer from sleep disturbances during their pregnancy where as some may suffer from it during their menopause. Sleep difficulties are more common in post-menopausal than in pre-menopausal women, and more severe in those experiencing a surgical menopause.
Investigation Tests available:
- Overnight polysomnography (PSG)
- Respiratory monitoring and leg EMG
- Multiple Sleep Latency Tests (MSLT)
- Wrist actigraphy (to assess sleeping patterns and awakenings on consecutive nights and to provide information on certain sleep disorders, including shift work disorder). This may also be used to assess the response to therapy.
- Continuous EEG recording
Key points –
- Disturbed sleep is a common complaint during the peri-menopausal period.
- Various factors are implicated in the sleep disturbance associated with menopause.
- Sleep disorders management may include medications as well as lifestyle and behavior modification.
If you are struggling to take good sleep during night, you must visit a psychiatrist near you. If you are living in Bhopal, Dr. Satyakant Trivedi is available at Bansal Hospital to take care you.